The Carl Zeiss Foundation consists of the three foundation bodies Foundation Administration, Shareholder Council, and Management Advisory Board.
Foundation AdministrationThe Foundation Administration, based in Stuttgart, forms the board of the foundation. It consists of the respective ministers responsible for universities of the two federal states of Baden-Württemberg and Thuringia, with the Baden-Württemberg Minister presiding over it as the chair. The Foundation Administration represents the Foundation judicially and otherwise in so far as the Shareholder Council is not responsible for protecting the economic interests of the Foundation vis-a-vis the foundation companies as a special representative in accordance with Articles 30 and 86 of the German Civil Code (BGB).
- Ensuring proper fulfilment of the purposes set out by the foundation, in particular the allocation of funding for research and teaching
- Appointment of the members of the Shareholder Council
- Cooperation with the Shareholder Council and the Management Advisory Board
- Awareness of daily operations of the foundation
- Adaptation of the foundation statute
- Reporting and accounting
Members of the Foundation Administration
Shareholder CouncilThe Shareholder Council, which is appointed by the Foundation Administration, consists of a chairman and two additional members. The chairman forms the “link” between the foundation and the foundation companies and must be elected as chairman of the supervisory board of the two foundation companies.
- Managing the economic interests of the foundation for the foundation companies
- Exercising the rights of the foundation from the shares in the foundation companies, in particular exercising voting rights in the general meetings
Members of the Shareholder Council
Chairman: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Dr. Eric Schweitzer
Prof. Dr. Dr. Andreas Barner
Management Advisory BoardThe Management Advisory Board consists of the members of the Boards of the two foundation companies, whereby two Chairmen of the Boards of Carl Zeiss AG and SCHOTT AG respectively represent the Management Advisory Board jointly. Above all, the Management Advisory Board provides advice and support to the other two foundation bodies.
Consultation and advisory function in
- the selection of members of the Shareholder Council
- Allocation of subsidies
- Modification of the foundation statute